Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2020

ZigZag italics on graph paper

 One way to jolt your old habits is to try a zig-zag style of penmanship that has some overlap with italics.

The most important thing is to start feeling a rhythm. To do this, start with a row of understrokes like iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii   (video 1) -- then do a whole row of over strokes (video 2)

If it feels really awkward, do a couple more lines, and then move on. At the beginning of each practice session, do a row of each as a warm up. The goal is to cultivate rhythm as well as precision. Go as slow a necessary to hit the guidelines. Let the speed come naturally.


Excuse my primitive *graph paper* - I am currently on a trip, helping with household stuff at my daughters. Two weeks without my art supplies. So, I drew some vertical lines on notebook paper. I didn't even have a ruler. I should have used a second piece of paper as a guide for making the lines more even, but didn't think of that until the page was done.


Video 1 -- under strokes iiiiiiii


Video 2  -  overstrokes


Video 3 - ininininininin. no spaces


Video 4 - intintintintint. - no spaces


Video 5 - when my brain was thinking *intintint* it was choppy and hard to keep the rhythm. Switching to tintintin - so that the word *tin* was in my head made it a lot smoother. Do not put in any word spacing yet. We have to find something rhythmic that works before we break into words.


Video 6 - this was supposed to be lintlintlint - I messed up at the beginning - 



Video 7 - this one is hinthinthinthint - My brain was doing a natural pause at the end of the word - wanting to stop and cross the t - so go ahead and stop at the end - but do not leave extra space after the t. it can have a short tail (exit stroke) then just pick up the h on the next vertical line.



Video 8 - mintmintmintmint - no extra space between words. Pause if it feels right to stop and cross the t.





3 comments:

  1. MY, what a world of difference SEEING this. Okay, I have viewed all the videos. Want to REview them, make analogue notes, and get to practicing. Now, if only my body will do what my eyes and brain saw.

    Will be a hoot to see what winds up on paper.

    Thank you for opening up this Cursive Club spot for me (us). I have bookmarked this site.

    It is 1:41 p.m., my planner says writing practice is at 3 p.m. So, I had better get offline, handle some other very important business so I am able to practice.

    Have a very good rest of your day Jean.

    Lyric

    ReplyDelete
  2. Submitted my first practice after paper arrived yesterday. 😳

    Talk about feeling like a fish out of water. Transitioning gave me fits 😅.

    Here is hoping for a better outcome next session

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean Thank you for the lesson, working mainly on the rhythm of writing and it is helping Having the video makes is real!

    ReplyDelete